Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Well hello there Detox...

Hi.
My name is Bre, and I'm addicted to the show Intervention. Its almost to the point where I actually need an intervention about me watching Intervention. And its only on from like midnight to 4am so some nights I find myself clipping coupons or sorting paperwork and I am glued to that show. If I analyze it enough, I can even find myself relating to them, not in a Black tar heroin kind of way but when I think about food. Food is my drug. Before this commitment, I abused food. When I was happy, I ate. When I was sad, I really ate. When I was with friends, we ate out, we had parties centered around food. When I was bored, I snacked out of boredom. Yep, that pretty much covers the waking hours of my day. Throw in there that I have 4 kids, 3 boys who potentially have a tape worm and are hungry constantly, coupled with my lack of willpower and viola: food to mouth to large ass. Although they might be able to snack all day and eat heartily at meal time, I don't run instead of walk the whole day, and am also not driving trucks, riding bikes or digging sand in the hopes of creating a castle masterpiece.

What is it about food that can grab such a hold on us? Do we lose sight of the actual joy of gatherings, and nights out with the girls, and hubby dates for what they really are? Can we not be raised up in a spiritual kind of way just on the fact that we are blessed with a great family, great friends and great times?

Food- here's your walking papers as you're not going to be the star anymore. Sad, isn't it, as you've been main stage for the last 10 years or so. Your arrogance and vanity is so evident as I drive down the street.. I see your huge flashing signs in the shape of M's, adored with piggy-tailed gingers and white-bearded old men. I admit, you tempt me still, but its fading. I understand now why you created drive-ups at your places of evil. What fat girl wants to horse her body inside to order those fries or that shake? Your drive-thru provides us anonymity, the privacy we crave as we order and drive away with your greasy bag of processed food- feeling shameful for what we have done, and usually not even enjoying what we've gotten.
Guess what food.... I drove past you the other day and went an extra 2 miles down the road because I knew there was a subway. That's right, a subway. Im surprised I even knew where it was. I knew I needed to have that quick fix my body craved so I parked my car very far from the door, waaaaalkkkeed all the way in, and ordered a sweet onion chicken teriyaki sub, no cheese on whole wheat for 6pts. Guess what? I STILL felt that same rush that I bet a drug abuser feels when they score a ten of Black. I then walked back out to the van, sipped my diet coke and proudly drove home to eat my score in public.

No dessert was needed as the taste of this victory was certainly sweet enough.

3 comments:

  1. omg bree i love that show too! eric and i watch it all the time and i usually end up crying my eyes out. you are such an honest person and i absolutely love reading your blogs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't have described the fast food experience better myself!! You (and the other girls too) are truely an inspiration!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a good writer! I can see/hear you saying what you write as I read it. :) Love the fact that you boasted about Subway - I love it, too. Haven't had it yet since going on WW Round 2 - but I'll have to hit it up soon.

    ReplyDelete