Thursday, July 1, 2010

Today I used the word boo-yah, and yes I said it Loud and Proud.

For starters, hats off to my lls laedermartin who told me about this raspberry fluff she made consisting of raspberry jello and free cool whip. She had me at hello and due to the excessive amount of salivation I wasn't able to properly ask her what the recipe was. So today..come Noon or so when I was throwing T some beef ribs and carrots and onions and squash in the trustworthy cast iron pot, I found a box of raspberry jello. I had previously purchased the free cool whip, even tho Im not even a cool whip person- I usually ate my pies and cakes naked. But, Kroger has them on for .99/each- buy 5 get a 3.00 off your next order catalina. Couple that with a .60/3 coupon that was out in sundays paper, and technically you're buying them for about 28 cents each. That friends, is a stock up price. But I digress.

So there we were... baby was sleeping, Anthony and Rocco were playing/fighting/playing, but Dominic and I were ready to get a little creative, and a little crazy in the kitchen. So here's what went down:

We took the bigger box of raspberry jello and mixed it with 2 cups of hot water. To that, we stirred in a tub of cool whip free. It turned into a foamy mess of what looked like bath bubbles but still smelled A+. In to the fridge it went till about 7ish when the kids were done with their sandwiches and baby lettuce and feta salads. That's when the bowl came back out of the fridge so Dom and I could see what we had created. It looked sketchy.. the top didn't really harden , but there was a layer of cloudy jello beneath that had set up. They loved it.. I scooped it out lunch lady style and they each devoured their little treat. Then it was my turn. I scooped a spoonful which I counted as one point even though technically it'd be zero...but I thought well two 0 pt foods should equal 1pt anyhow. Then the lightbulb. I opened the freezer and grabbed another container of coolwhip- this one the light version with 35 cals and 2g fat/ 3 Tbsp which is just 1 point as well.

Ok.. so picture it: The cloudy solidified bottom raspberry layer- then the cloud-like top lighter raspberry flavored layer kind of solid and foamy--- then 3 tbsp of Frozen Light cool whip.. and 1 pt worth of raspberries tossed on top and around not only for added flavor... but for garnish. As it goes, presentation is half the battle. Looks wise I was sold. Deep red, pinkish red, and bright white adorned with beautiful berries and its hard to not fall in love right away. But Im a texture kind of girl. If its slimy and creepy tasting or it leaves a funky film in your mouth like some jello does then all would be lost.

That friends, is when I, in a tone that would rival my fathers, said "Boo-yah".

It was amazing. The bottom layer was still jello like but it had such a dense flavor that it reminded me of a cake layer. The foamy pink layer was like a frosting that wasn't too sweet and the frozen cool whip was Exactly like a marshmallow ice cream. Throw in the sweet but tart handful of raspberries and it was good beyond belief.

Whew. That was alot of words just to tell you all about this super fab dessert. I think what surprised me most is that I ate it, loved it, and it was actually not a train wreck of fat, sugar or salt. I wasn't sure my brain was ever going to let me trick it into thinking it was eating something naughty when in fact it was eating something perfectly ok in moderation and something that tasted damn good.

So thank you Laedermartin, for planting the seeds about a magical fluff. Your words of wisdom inspired my 4 yr old and I to attempt a creation that we weren't so sure how would end up. It was soo good it made me yell a college boys word of jubilation at a tone I would tell my kids was not an "inside voice".

Dom and I will now have the courage to attempt more faux treats, more tasty meals that my brain sees as super tasty no-way-can-this-be good for us delights.

Expect more age inappropriate exclamations coming out of my kitchen..

1 comment:

  1. Mmm! Sounds yummy! I will have to try it!! Thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete