Thursday, July 1, 2010

The hidden control panel of destiny...

So this morning at breakfast, which consisted of organic eggs over-easy with a piece of 9 grain toast for the kids and I, my son Anthony asked me what he considered to be a very important question. "Mom, what if someone took you and made you into a robot?" Hmmm...it started my wheels spinning I guess just about how robotic everyday life can be.

Wake up, feed kids, get dressed, start activity, feed kids, outside play, snack, movie, feed kids, outside, bath and bed. That's pretty much the robotic routine I go through on the days I don't have my sitter and am working. Out of the 11 things listed, 4 are food-oriented. Overall, its safe to say that around half my days activities are exposing me to food. I'm not really trying to avoid these situations, as my kids need to eat healthy, balanced meals and have tasty snacks. For me, rebuilding my willpower with the shards that remain will quite possibly be a lifelong battle. Its funny how we do things in a unconscience manner as well. Popping a piece of said snack in our own mouths as we are preparing it for our kids and probably not even realizing that was an extra 50 calories or so that we weren't even thinking about. As for now, my lips are sealed at snack time- its 1 point every lick, bite or taste and frankly, that one frito just isnt worth it. Delicious as it may be with its stone ground corn fried goodness, if I skip the mini-binge I can have a whole cup of blueberries for the same point value. Albeit a bit of a dreamer and a pessimist, I am still a realist. Bring on the blueberries.

Perhaps being more robotic as time goes on is part of a defense mechanism that the human body flips on. Ever feel like you're just going through the motions? That you exist in this world but don't really 'live'? That time is flying by but you're still stuck in the same rut without much of an idea how to get out?

I suppose it would be much easier if we were built like robots. Then, when a bad habit or a bad lifestyle choice came about we could easily and quickly be reprogrammed. No commitment, no hard work, no better choices needed.. just a beep, bop, beep and viola: all of our vices gone, and replaced with fluffy hobbies like bird watching, crocheting and the love to patina garage sale finds.

Was I pre-programmed to have a lifelong battle with weight? Doubtful.
Have I been going through the motions and putting on a happy face to hide my overall unhappiness with myself and my issues? Potentially.
With time and effort and my commitment to cyberspace can I overcome this tiny obstacle? Absolutely.

After all these years Ive found my hidden control panel.

Make way for a newer, happier, thinner model of this person, also equip with fully recharged will power, the desire to exercise and at no extra charge an overall positive attitude towards food. It cooks healthy, it cleans, it laughs at your bad jokes, it even wears shorts comfortably in public...(gasp)

Available come November 2010.

1 comment:

  1. Very insightful. There are many days, especially as a teacher, laden with the same routine, that I feel like a robot. Especially in a school in which we are "recommended" to teach things at the same time each day. It is so easy to fall into the same routine. And as much as we, and kids for that matter, like and need routines, it is also great to deviate from the routine once and a while. I LOVE your blog Bre. It always get me thinking.

    ReplyDelete